If you have been following my blog for quite some time now, then you probably read my Top Ten Things I Learned in College post that I wrote at the end of my freshman year last year. If not, check it out here! Well another (much more brutal) year has gone by, and naturally I learned a lot more stuff. In fact, I’m coming to find that in college, you learn a hell of a lot more about life than you do on the subjects you’re actually paying to learn about. I haven’t participated in a “Top Ten Tuesday” post in a while, but I thought I would create my own for this week since I just completed my sophomore year last Wednesday.
1. The toughest situations you’ll encounter will show you exactly who your real friends are: I went through quite the hellish experience over the course of the entire year in which my best friend decided not to be my friend anymore (very long story put shortly). However, as I was losing her, I came to grow closer with many of my other friends and gained so much more from any loss I had.
2. If you have the right study group then there’s nothing you can’t do: my study group for Organic Chemistry this year got me through week after week of late nighters and helped motivate me to push through! There was nothing we couldn’t accomplish together!
3. Networking is the key to everything: networking is one of the best things you can do in order to move forward with your goals. I was able to find my summer jobs through networking and a lot of my friends I met through other friends. You’ll be surprised at how helpful it can be. I was even able to get most of my textbooks through friends of friends etc.
4. If you want housing off campus, PUT A LOT OF EFFORT into finding the best place: hence where more networking comes in! The perfect place for you is out there, nobody said you have to settle, you just have to be willing to put in the work for it.
5. Sometimes it’s ok to choose your own happiness over others’: when you let go of what brings you down and finally decide to accept how much you matter, you will be surprised at how free you will feel!
6. Just when you think you can’t handle any more stress, you will be surprised to discover that you can: there were so many times during the school year that I would be feeling overwhelmed by not only my school load but my personal life drama as well. I thought I couldn’t take anymore, but there is definitely no truer saying that God doesn’t give you more than you can handle. There is always a way to make it through the tough times, you just can’t give up.
7. If you over indulge in comfort food while studying for finals, it will come back to bite you: I had not planned on starting my summer on a diet until I realized how bad that comfort food got me in this last month of school. Comfort food is totally ok, just in duration…
8. (Contrary to #7) Take a Physical Education Class: So yes, I may have over eaten toward the end, but it was at least stemmed a little by the fact that I was enrolled in a Kickboxing class this past semester! Kickboxing is an AMAZING stress reliever, there is nothing like punching and kicking things to really make a girl feel better!
9. No matter what, there is ALWAYS time for Netflix: another great stress reliever, and sure you may lose sleep but hey it will be worth it!
10. Don’t feel bad if you aren’t able to work during the school year, but definitely be sure to work: I have plenty of friends who work during the year and plenty who don’t (including myself) it all depends on what you think you can handle, but no matter what, finding a job and working a job is so very valuable during any time of the year. Especially if you want to be able to afford those summer road trip plans with your friends!