This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
So this week’s Top Ten Tuesday topic is: Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books. Maybe this is in honor of Valentine’s Day? Either way it gives me a chance to simultaneously bash and praise love at the same time! And isn’t that what Valentine’s Day is all about?? So I decided to split it half and half, I’ll start with the dislikes so as to end on a happy note!
1. Instalove: If the two main characters fall in love immediately, what’s the fun in that? There’s no entertainment of the buildup, no evolution of characters. Overall it’s just kinda boring.
2. Sacrificing oneself to save the other: This is seriously one of the most annoying things to read! When that character is just so determined to go jumping off a cliff for everyone, especially their lover. It’s just so unbelievably frustrating, especially when you know the plot is going to come full circle and the character is not gonna go through with it anyway. So why waste the time creating a worthless conflict?
3. Purposely keeping secrets from one another: This just leads to so many unnecessary problems between the characters. Eventually they always come back to bite you in the butt. Look at The Divergent series for example, all the secrets Tris keeps from Four created so much annoying conflict that just made the reader bored. Secrets don’t make friends or love!
4.One step forward, two steps back moments: We all know when these moments happen! At last our characters are getting into a relationship and everything is sunshine and daisies, and then BOOM! Out of nowhere, something absolutely ridiculous happens to push the two characters apart again! And they crash and burn, and you (the reader) are cussing and shouting at their stupidity. My words usually sound something like: “Oh just shut up, kiss her, and never let her go!!”
5. Switching romantic interests at the last moment: This is probably one of the things I hate the most in books! Yet sometimes I’m happy they happen! Ugh that’s why I hate this, if the main girl is already involved with one character the entire story, then you as the reader have already fallen in love with their relationship and you’re attached. Then the author decides to throw in another guy, and suddenly: Oh no, my heart! WTF, what do I do with my feelings? I already chose Sexy Man A, but now Sexy Man B is getting in the way, and I don’t know how to handle myself? Do you see what I’m saying? Or sometimes, the second guy is soo not who you want the girl to be with, which is even worse, cause that’s who she chooses, and now congratulations, the entire book/series has just sufficiently been ruined for all time!
1. A Struggle before Love: So this one coincides with my first dislike. I love a good struggle between the romantic interests before it slowly becomes love. I think it’s all the more endearing when the two kinda love-hate one another in the beginning before admitting their true feelings.
2. Witty Banter: It’s always great to see hilarious insults/cocky phrases thrown between the girl and guy. Hence why I love Jennifer Armentrout so much. She never fails to make me laugh at the way the two characters never let the other have the last word!
3. Steamy Action: Who doesn’t love this?? A romance is not a romance unless the two do anything about it! These scenes make or break the quality of the romance!
4. Evenly matched set: The girl’s physical/metaphorical strength should compliment the male’s nicely! She shouldn’t have to hide behind the man while he does all the fighting! When the girl is just as much of a badass as the guy, the pair is so much more hot! I hate wimpy characters, so it’s always fantastic to see the couple fight together against the enemy!
5. Possessiveness/protectiveness: I mostly enjoy this from the male side, but it doesn’t hurt to see some of it from the female lead either, but when the male is one big protective alpha it’s all the more attractive and exciting to read about!